hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:57:51 GMT
I had exactly the same reaction when this came up in the past:

but our experience with myriad 0.20 variants has demonstrated that
Hadoop can support both a stable branch and a development branch.
Trying to direct effort away from 0.20 by preventing it from happening
in Apache didn't work, and I was wrong to advocate for it. The
interest in a more slow-moving, stable version of Hadoop will exist
whether we give it an outlet in Apache or not, most of us work on both
anyway, so we might as well collaborate in both fora. -C

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
> so if 0.20 becomes 1.0, what does 0.22 become ?
> I'm still not sure if we shouldn't just add security to 0.22, and leave the 0.20 in maintenance
mode from here on.
> On Jan 12, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>>> I'm open to suggestions - how about something like 20.100 to show that it's a
big jump? Anything else?
>> Although I'm not wild about any of the potential release names, this patch set is
neither a subset or superset of the 0.21 or 0.22 branches. Given that, I think that a new
major release number makes the most sense. It is also relatively likely that additional minor
releases will be made off of this branch while 0.22 is stabilizing. We've talked about declaring
0.20 a 1.0 for a long time and this feels like backing into the decision, but technically,
I believe it to be the right name for such a release.
>> Thoughts?
>> -- Owen

View raw message