hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:29:00 GMT
Sorry for rattling you guys, definitely wasn't discussing a veto.  I'm
absolutely not opposed, just thought the alternative Todd raised was
worth a couple emails since users have requested both security and
append, and such a branch that includes both of those plus
enhancements and substantial testing exists.

Arun - I appreciate all the info, looking forward to the release.

Thanks,
Eli

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Arun C Murthy <arunc@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> *nod* Ok.
>
> Arun
>
> On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:08 PM, "Nigel Daley" <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I say just do it.  Eli said it wasn't a blocker. Sure it ain't perfect, but it's
good enough.

>> Let's move on to 0.22 and beyond.
>>
>> Nige

>>> I can guarantee it will need work to merge the enhancements since 20.104.3, it's
over 6 months of development. The enhancements includes work on stability such as iterative
ls, limits on JT to prevent single jobs/users from taking it down etc. and lots of bug-fixes
to security. So, unfortunately the delta is pretty large.

>>> I'm working on a CHANGES.txt which should reflect all the changes i.e. bug-fixes
and enhancements.

>>> We are discussing two options:
>>> 20 + security + enhancements
>>> 20 + security + append
>>>
>>> I think the value we provide via 20+security+enhancements release is that it's
stable, tested and deployed at scale. Doing any more work merging 6 months of work at Yahoo
(again, I guarantee it's a lot of work) will need a lots of cycles to validate, test and stabilize.

>>> I feel the alternative is a distraction for me, I'd rather work on 0.22.
>>>
>>> I can get 20+security+enhancements done very, very, quickly precisely because
I don't have to spend cycles testing it.