hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:14:14 GMT
On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
> Good questions.  Keep them coming!  I'll compile a list so we can start an FAQ on this.
>
>> # Is project split a goal for hadoop in the future (even though we are not ready
yet?). If it is, then putting projects back together might result in tight dependencies between
the project. Ho do we avoid it?

> Note, we're not putting them back together.  This is NOT a cmd-Z (ctrl-Z) on the project
split.  It's putting them back under one trunk, but as separate projects underneath that.
 IMO this is a relatively small change in the universe of undo-the-project-split possibilities.

Yes, the three projects would still build separately. However, it
would be useful to have a small top-level script to produce a single
artifact, like https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6342 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6846.

>> # The committer list for each of the sub project today is different. How do we reconcile
them?

> I'd like to keep that issue out of this change if at all possible.  I recommend for
now we keep the status quo.  Thus, even though all committers may technically have permission
to commit to all 3 project trees (can someone confirm that?), we would need to rely on the
honor system that committers will only commit to their project trees.

That's right - we don't have fine-grained commit access on the Hadoop
tree, so we don't need to change anything here.

Tom

> Cheers,
> Nige
>
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Suresh Srinivas wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of merging projects together. It save a lot of time.
>>
>> However, I would like to see a detailed proposal on how this will be done and discussions
on it, before moving forward on this. If this work is done, need clear messages to the developers
on what has changed, and how development process is affected. These details were missing when
project split was done, causing great deal of confusion and pain.