hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Dhruba Borthakur <dhr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:24:21 GMT

> 1) I agree this is not a good precedent. We don't support mega-patches in
> general. We are doing this as part of discontinuing the "yahoo distribution
> of Hadoop".  We don't plan to continue doing 30 person year projects outside
> apache and then merging them in!!

I think this is a very dangerous precedent and completely unwarranted.
mega-patches are bad and is totally not the Apache way to go. I think if you
want to contribute it back to Apache, you should avoid the mega-patch
completely.

  I think the various 20 append patch lines may be fine for specialized
> hbase clusters, but they doesn't have the rigor behind them to bet your
> business in them.

I think you are completely off-track here and jumping to conclusions. Big
business are already betting on it. HBase is becoming a big user of Hadoop
(dunno whether Y! uses HBase) and I completely agree with Ian that all
business have to anyway test their release themselves before using it,
otherwise you could land up with data loss like the type you mentioned.

 thanks,
dhruba