hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Dhruba Borthakur <dhr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:24:21 GMT
> 1) I agree this is not a good precedent. We don't support mega-patches in
> general. We are doing this as part of discontinuing the "yahoo distribution
> of Hadoop".  We don't plan to continue doing 30 person year projects outside
> apache and then merging them in!!
I think this is a very dangerous precedent and completely unwarranted.
mega-patches are bad and is totally not the Apache way to go. I think if you
want to contribute it back to Apache, you should avoid the mega-patch

  I think the various 20 append patch lines may be fine for specialized
> hbase clusters, but they doesn't have the rigor behind them to bet your
> business in them.
I think you are completely off-track here and jumping to conclusions. Big
business are already betting on it. HBase is becoming a big user of Hadoop
(dunno whether Y! uses HBase) and I completely agree with Ian that all
business have to anyway test their release themselves before using it,
otherwise you could land up with data loss like the type you mentioned.