hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:39:25 GMT
+1. The project split is a lie.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
> +1 full agreement.
>
> I think it will be a pita admin wise (due to how svn authorization is set up), so it
might slow down creation of a new branch, but its worth it.

> ---
> Ian Holsman
> AOL Inc
> Ian.Holsman@teamaol.com
> (703) 879-3128 / AIM:ianholsman
>
> it's just a technicality
>
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 2:25 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Death to the project split!  Or short of that, anything to tame it.
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what and
how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked
to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively
small change could alleviate some of that.

>>> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>>>
>>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
>>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>>>
>>> PROPOSAL:
>>>
>>> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>>> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>>>
>>> We're a long way from releasing these 3 projects independently.  Given that,
they should be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and provides
a more natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across all 3 projects.