hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:25:04 GMT
+1

Death to the project split!  Or short of that, anything to tame it.

On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what and how we release
Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked to agree that the
project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively small change could
alleviate some of that.

> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>
> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>
> PROPOSAL:
>
> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>
> We're a long way from releasing these 3 projects independently.  Given that, they should
be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and provides a more
natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across all 3 projects.