hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 06:33:34 GMT
Nigel proposes that in this release (as in previous releases), everything should be packaged
together.

Our in house experience at yahoo is that this makes a lot of sense.  It is how we find it
most effective to operate.  The project split has introduced a lot of complexity with no return.

Do you see any advantage to the status quo, versus nigel's proposal?

Thanks!  And sorry for any ambiguity.

E14

On Jan 17, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 21:40, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

>>> Because that long term view is currently a fantasy with no real end in sight.
>>
>> ** +1 to that.  We release as a unit, branch as a unit, test as a unit, deploy as
a unit.  I've seen no actual gain from the project split, just complexity.

> Am I missing something in the latest development of Hadoop, Eric? What
> do you mean by 'we... test as a unit'? Is it like we have test
> artifacts version'd against Hadoop release proper? Or you are trying
> to say something else? It isn't very clear, sorry...
>
> Cos
>

>>> Nige

 Many

 What the