hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 08:32:03 GMT
+1 full agreement.

I think it will be a pita admin wise (due to how svn authorization is set up), so it might
slow down creation of a new branch, but its worth it.

---
Ian Holsman
AOL Inc
Ian.Holsman@teamaol.com
(703) 879-3128 / AIM:ianholsman

it's just a technicality

On Jan 14, 2011, at 2:25 AM, Eric Baldeschwieler <eric14@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Death to the project split!  Or short of that, anything to tame it.
>
> On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what and how
we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked to agree
that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively small change
could alleviate some of that.

>> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>>
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>>
>> PROPOSAL:
>>
>> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>>
>> We're a long way from releasing these 3 projects independently.  Given that, they
should be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and provides
a more natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across all 3 projects.