hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:09:46 GMT

On Jan 12, 2011, at 11:07 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> +1 for 0.20.x, where x >= 100.  I agree that the 1.0 moniker would involve more
discussion.

> Ok, seems like we are converging; we can continue talking. I've created the branch to
get the ball rolling.

>> Will this be a jumbo patch attached to a Jira and then committed to the branch?
Just curious.

> I'm afraid that the svn log of the branch from github Y! branch is fairly useless since
a single JIRA might have multiple commits in the Y! branch (bugfix on top of a bugfix). We
have done that in several cases (but the patches committed to trunk have a single patch which
is the result of forward porting a complete feature/bugfix). IAC the this branch and 0.22
have diverged so much that almost no non-trivial patch would apply without a significant amount
of work.

> Thus, I think a jumbo patch should suffice. It will also ensure this can done quickly
so that the community can then concentrate on 0.22 and beyond.

> However, I will (manually) ensure all relevant jiras are referenced in the CHANGES.txt
and Release Notes for folks to see the contents of the release. This is the hardest part of
the exercise. Also, this ensures that we can track these jiras for 0.22 as Eli suggested.

> Does that seem like a reasonable way forward? I'm happy to brainstorm.

+1.  If it turns out to be insufficient to figure out how to apply similar changes to trunk/0.22
then we can address that as needed.

Thanks Arun!

Nige