hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:32:33 GMT
I'm a huge supporter of the idea. On a related note, we've been looking for the right time
to mavenize. Maybe we can do both together. We could pitch in a bunch of work on both if we
could get the timing right.

We've got a huge batch of commits in flight now, but if we can find something that satisfied
the 22 crowd after we sync in, we'd be happy to pitch in on unsplit and/or maven.

---
E14 - via iPhone

On Jan 14, 2011, at 5:43 AM, "Ian Holsman" <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:

> on that note... I propose we discuss un-splitting the project altogether.
>
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 3:39 AM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>
>> +1. The project split is a lie.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>>> +1 full agreement.
>>>
>>> I think it will be a pita admin wise (due to how svn authorization is set up),
so it might slow down creation of a new branch, but its worth it.

>>> ---
>>> Ian Holsman
>>> AOL Inc
>>> Ian.Holsman@teamaol.com
>>> (703) 879-3128 / AIM:ianholsman
>>>
>>> it's just a technicality

and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked
to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively
small change could alleviate some of that.

that, they should be branched and released as a unit.  This SVN structure enforces that and
provides a more natural place to keep a top level build and pkg scripts that operate across
all 3 projects.