hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:11:28 GMT
On 01/12/2011 11:07 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> Thus, I think a jumbo patch should suffice. It will also ensure this can
> done quickly so that the community can then concentrate on 0.22 and beyond.
>
> However, I will (manually) ensure all relevant jiras are referenced in
> the CHANGES.txt and Release Notes for folks to see the contents of the
> release. This is the hardest part of the exercise. Also, this ensures
> that we can track these jiras for 0.22 as Eli suggested.
>
> Does that seem like a reasonable way forward? I'm happy to brainstorm.

We would not release this until each change in it has been reviewed by
the community, right?  Otherwise we may end up with changes in a 0.20
release that don't get approved when they're contributed to trunk and
cause trunk to regress.  So I don't yet see the point of committing the
mega patch since the community needs to review each individual change
anyway, so we might wait until each is reviewed to commit it.

That said, posting the mega patch is useful, so that folks can start to
pick it apart into separate issues.  Pushing your internal commits to a
public github branch might also make that review process easier.

Doug