hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:51:26 GMT

On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on
> what and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an
> adjustment.  Many folks I've talked to agree that the project split
> has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively small
> change could alleviate some of that.
>
> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>
> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>
> PROPOSAL:
>
> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]

Moving the source trees back together is ok, but will cause a fair
amount of churn for those of us that depend on the git versions of the
repository. Using Todd's hack may be able to fix it again at least for
each individual user.

I assume you meant to propose:

hadoop/ {trunk, branches/*, tags/* } / {common, hdfs, mapreduce}

which means that you can make checkouts, branches and tags with a
single command. Your proposal as stated would break all of the tools
that count on standard layouts of subversion repositories, such as the
subversion to git gateways and eclipse.

We currently have other stuff at the top level of hadoop: hive, logos,
nightly, pig, site, and zookeeper. Clearly hive, pig, and zookeeper
should be removed. The others are just versioned and aren't branched.
I'm fine with leaving them at the top level as "extra" bits, but it
should be decided.

-- Owen