hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 23:05:04 GMT
Todd,

On Jan 13, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> Hi Arun, all,
>
> When we merged YDH and CDH for CDH3b3, we went through the effort of
> "linearizing" all of the YDH patches and squashing multiple commits
> into
> single ones corresponding to a single JIRA where possible. So, we
> have a
> 100% linear set of patches that applies on top of the 0.20.2 source
> tree and
> includes Yahoo 0.20.100.3 as well as almost all the patches from
> 0.20-append
> and a number of other backports.
>
> Since this could be applied as a linear set of patches instead of a
> big
> lump, would there be interest in using this as the 0.20.>100 Apache
> release?
> I can take the time to remove any patches that are cloudera specific
> or not
> yet applied upstream.

Interesting discussion, thanks.

I'm sure it took you a fair amount of work to squash patches (which I
tried too, btw). That, plus the fact that we would need to do a
similar amount of work for the 10 or so releases we have done after
0.20.100.3 scares me.

As we Nigel and I discussed here, the jumbo  patch and an up-to-date
CHANGES.txt provides almost all of the benefits we seek and allows all
of us to get this done very quickly to focus on hadoop-0.22 and beyond.

What do you think?

OTOH, I could get this release done and start squashing patches for
the sake of completeness as a background activity.

Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun