hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:32:51 GMT
Yup, I'll say it again.  The process ain't perfect but it's good enough IMO. Thank you Yahoo!
for your contribution.

Clearly these patch will need review before commit when going into trunk.

Let's move on to 0.22.

Nige

On Jan 14, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> I tend to second most of Ian's points here.
>
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 06:14, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>> (with my Apache hat on)
>> I'm -0.5 on doing this as one big mega-patch and not including append (as opposed
to a series of smaller patches).

> #1: we are creating a precedent of a "brain-dump" here. Although, it
> isn't the first one in the history of OSS. Infamous Apple "patch" to
> OpenBSD is another one ;)
>
> #2: How to spell 'back door' any one?
>
> #5: "almost 10 internal releases" Arun has mentioned above might be,
> perhaps, considered as a great quality control effort. Also, not to
> mention virtual impossibility to create a test plan to validate a
> giant features patch.
>
>> BTW, I'd like to point out a discrepancy here:
>>
>> On another thread discussing hadoop-0.20-append as a separate branch, most people
agreed that new features shouldn't be added to 0.20, now we have a major feature and we are
all gung ho for it..