hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:52:05 GMT

On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what and how
we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many folks I've talked to agree
that the project split has caused us a splitting headache.  I think 1 relatively small change
could alleviate some of that.

>> CURRENT SVN REPO:
>>
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / trunk
>> hadoop / [common, mapreduce, hdfs] / branches
>>
>> PROPOSAL:
>>
>> hadoop / trunk / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>> hadoop / branches / [common, mapreduce, hdfs]
>

> Moving the source trees back together is ok, but will cause a fair amount of churn for
those of us that depend on the git versions of the repository. Using Todd's hack may be able
to fix it again at least for each individual user.

Looks like Todd addressed this.  Thanks!

> I assume you meant to propose:
>
> hadoop/ {trunk, branches/*, tags/* } / {common, hdfs, mapreduce}

Ya.  Thanks for spelling that out more clearly Owen.

> which means that you can make checkouts, branches and tags with a single command. Your
proposal as stated would break all of the tools that count on standard layouts of subversion
repositories, such as the subversion to git gateways and eclipse.

I'm not much of a git user.
1) subversion to git gateway: break unrepairably?
2) eclipse: break in what way?  I use eclipse for other projects structure like this without
a problem.

> We currently have other stuff at the top level of hadoop: hive, logos, nightly, pig,
site, and zookeeper. Clearly hive, pig, and zookeeper should be removed. The others are just
versioned and aren't branched. I'm fine with leaving them at the top level as "extra" bits,
but it should be decided.

+1 to removing/leaving those extra bits as you propose.  We can always move the remainder
later if there is a reason to.

I've filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7106 for this reorg.

Cheers,
Nige