hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Baldeschwieler <eri...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:37:48 GMT
+1 - A really good idea to clean up the builds and ownership issues.

I think it is good to have a default location for related projects and apache-extras.org does
seem like a logical place.

We should also probably add a prominent wiki section to support use of apache-extras.org and
to provide links to projects that want to host elsewhere.

On Jan 30, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Now that http://apache-extras.org is launched (https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches)
I'd like to start a discussion on moving contrib components out of common, mapreduce, and
hdfs.

> These contrib components complicate the builds, cause test failures that nobody seems
to care about, have releases that are tied to Hadoop's long release cycles, etc.  Most folks
I've talked with agree that these contrib components would be better served by being pulled
out of Hadoop and hosted elsewhere. The new apache-extras code hosting site seems like a natural
*default* location for migrating these contrib projects.  Perhaps some should graduate from
contrib to src (ie from contrib to core of the project they're included in).  If folks agree,
we'll need to come up with a mapping of contrib component to it's final destination and file
a jira.