hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:07:31 GMT

On Jan 12, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> +1 for 0.20.x, where x >= 100.  I agree that the 1.0 moniker would
> involve more discussion.

Ok, seems like we are converging; we can continue talking. I've
created the branch to get the ball rolling.

> Will this be a jumbo patch attached to a Jira and then committed to
> the branch?  Just curious.

I'm afraid that the svn log of the branch from github Y! branch is
fairly useless since a single JIRA might have multiple commits in the
Y! branch (bugfix on top of a bugfix). We have done that in several
cases (but the patches committed to trunk have a single patch which is
the result of forward porting a complete feature/bugfix). IAC the this
branch and 0.22 have diverged so much that almost no non-trivial patch
would apply without a significant amount of work.

Thus, I think a jumbo patch should suffice. It will also ensure this
can done quickly so that the community can then concentrate on 0.22
and beyond.

However, I will (manually) ensure all relevant jiras are referenced in
the CHANGES.txt and Release Notes for folks to see the contents of the
release. This is the hardest part of the exercise. Also, this ensures
that we can track these jiras for 0.22 as Eli suggested.

Does that seem like a reasonable way forward? I'm happy to brainstorm.

thanks,
Arun