hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:58:34 GMT

On Jan 13, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@yahoo-inc.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Since this could be applied as a linear set of patches instead of a
>> big
>>> lump, would there be interest in using this as the 0.20.>100 Apache
>>> release?
>>> I can take the time to remove any patches that are cloudera
>>> specific or
>>> not
>>> yet applied upstream.
>>>

>> Interesting discussion, thanks.
>>
>> I'm sure it took you a fair amount of work to squash patches (which
>> I tried
>> too, btw).
>

> Yep, I had a great summer ;-)
>

>> That, plus the fact that we would need to do a similar amount of
>> work for
>> the 10 or so releases we have done after 0.20.100.3 scares me.
>>

> Sorry, I actually meant 0.20.104.3. Have there been many releases
> since
> then? That's the last version available on the Yahoo github, and
> that's the
> version we incorporated/linearized.

Yep. I had a great summer! ;-)

>> As we Nigel and I discussed here, the jumbo  patch and an up-to-date
>> CHANGES.txt provides almost all of the benefits we seek and allows
>> all of us
>> to get this done very quickly to focus on hadoop-0.22 and beyond.
>>

> In my opinion here are the downsides to this plan:

I agree there are downsides, I think I did point them out at the
outset! :)

> - a mondo "merge" patch is a big pain when trying to do debugging.
> It may be
> sufficient for a user to look at CHANGES.txt, but I find myself using
> blame/log/etc on individual files to understand code lineage on a
> daily
> basis. If all of the merge shows up as a big patch it will be very
> difficult
> (at least the way I work with code) to help users debug issues or
> understand
> which JIRA a certain regression may have come from.

Right, no question. Which is why I offered to do this as a background
activity right after... this ensures that the source of truth is
*always* a branch in Apache subversion.

I feel that we could get a usable release out of door quickly for our
users. Also, please remember that almost every patch we have committed
is available on relevant jiras. I understand the devs have a problem
and I feel we can bear with it for a little while. Again, I agree this
isn't an ideal solution, I'm just trying to expedite the release for
the users.

> To clarify my position a bit here - I definitely appreciate your
> volunteering to do the work, and wouldn't *block* the proposal as
> you've put
> it forth. I just think it will have limited utility for the
> community by
> being opaque (if contributed as a giant patch) and by not including
> the sync
> feature which is critical for a large segment of users. Given those
> downsides I'd rather see the effort diverted towards making a killer
> 0.22
> release that we can all jump on.

Thanks for understanding.

Again, I completely agree this isn't an ideal situation, but I do hope
it has a bit more than *limited utility* for our end-users. Who knows,
I maybe hopelessly deluded! *smile*

Also, I'm trying to do exactly what you suggested - spend very little
time on this so that everyone, including me, can focus on the future.

thanks,
Arun