hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 06:24:38 GMT
In that case, I'm +1 on releasing a 20+append branch, but am nervous on how much effort will
be put into testing it. But this option is better than the current apache alternative out
there as you and Owen mentioned.

---
Ian Holsman - 703 879-3128

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free -- Michelangelo

On 23/12/2010, at 5:16 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:>
>>> Are you counting other than Apache releases?  (I see only 4 here, two
>>> of which probably should be removed:
>>> http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/apache//hadoop/core/.)
>>

>> yes.. I was referring to the external companies who have decided to release their
own version, for their own business purposes. (please don't take that as a negative).

> Oh.  I was not counting those at all.
>
> Currently, over in HBase we tell users build and 'trust' your own
> Hadoop binary from the tip of what to them probably looks like some
> random Hadoop branch OR go get the slick Cloudera pre-builts since
> Cloudera's CDH3s have append/sync.  By offering to release a
> hadoop-0.20.0-append, I was just trying to make some remiss for a
> gaping hole in the Apache Hadoop offering.

this patch inside of it, as well as other fixes that have been applied since 0.20.2 (~26 patches)?
Would this be too much effort for you to RM?..

>> I'm open with adding it, as lack of append/sync could be seen as a bug to some. (yes
i'm playing with words)

> My guess is that few would see it the way you do.  Append/sync has had
> a long torturous history.  HADOOP-1700, the original append issue, was
> originally opened in August 2007.  There have been two
> implementations.  The one in branch-0.20-append is the 'deprecated'
> implementation; i.e. its not the append that is in Hadoop TRUNK
> (though IIUC the 'deprecated' append runs on the largest 'known' HDFS
> cluster).  At least once, append was part of a release and then pulled
> because it was 'destabilizing'.  It might be hard getting such a
> storied, scarred feature in as a 'bug fix'.  If it did go in, the
> append/sync is of such a reputation that it might sully the current
> good standing hadoop 0.20 branch releases hold.
>
> That said, I'm cavalier and if others are game, I'd be up for running
> a 0.20.3 release that included it.
>
>> Thats why I think we should go to 0.22 ASAP and get companies to build their new
features on trunk against that.