hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:40:03 GMT

On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:21 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On 11/29/2010 04:22 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
>> Using a vote to
>> decide on project direction is far better than vetoing patches
>> based on
>> disjoint visions of how to move forward. If the project votes for a
>> direction, a veto that is based on an opposing direction is clearly
>> invalid.
>
> This is unfortunately not the way Apache projects operate.  Vetos
> are not overridden by a majority votes.

This isn't overriding the veto. You've based your veto on changes in
project plan that have never been discussed or agreed to. At Ian's
suggestion, I wrote my statement to clarify what the project wanted to
do. It is completely appropriate for the PMC to vote about what the
project should do going forward. I would hope that if the PMC votes
for my proposal that you'd withdraw your veto since the basis for your
veto would have been rejected.

-- Owen