hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:03:59 GMT

On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Stack wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
>> There are already 5 Hadoop 20.x releases out there, I don't think there is a need
for another. (personal opinion, not a veto or speaking as the chair)

> Are you counting other than Apache releases?  (I see only 4 here, two
> of which probably should be removed:
> http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/apache//hadoop/core/.)

yes.. I was referring to the external companies who have decided to release their own version,
for their own business purposes. (please don't take that as a negative).

>> Is there a reason why we couldn't create a hadoop 0.20.3 release that has this patch
inside of it, as well as other fixes that have been applied since 0.20.2 (~26 patches)? Would
this be too much effort for you to RM?..

> I'd like that but my sense is the general populace of hadoopers would
> think the append/sync suite of patches destabilizing -- append/sync
> has a long 'history' in hadoop -- and a violation of the general
> principal that bug fixes only are added on a branch.

I'm open with adding it, as lack of append/sync could be seen as a bug to some. (yes i'm playing
with words)

>> I really don't want to come to a^h^h^h^hget out of the situation where we have multiple
releases of 0.20 each with a unique feature.

> Sure.  The notion has been broached before up on these lists -- e.g.
> there was talk of a 0.20 Apache release that had security in it -- and
> at the time folks seemed amenable.

I think that approach encourages groups of individuals/companies to huddle up together to
build large features without taking the larger group into account and then 'drop' the feature
off and wait for others to thank them & port it to their releases. We then become multiple
communities instead of a single one.

We will end up with Apache+Security release vs Apache+Append release vs Apache+Avatar release,
with various bug-fixes sprinkled into each.
And I'm not sure which release Pig or Hbase would target to develop against.

Thats why I think we should go to 0.22 ASAP and get companies to build their new features
on trunk against that.