hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 05:31:52 GMT
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:

> Hi St.Ack.
>
> In general I'm opposed to such a thing.
>
> There are already 5 Hadoop 20.x releases out there, I don't think there is
> a need for another.

Stack is trying to get an Apache version of Hadoop that solves his problem.
He's been asking for it for a year now. If the 20-append branch is stable,
we should release it.

> Is there a reason why we couldn't create a hadoop 0.20.3 release that has
> this patch inside of it, as well as other fixes that have been applied since
> 0.20.2 (~26 patches)?

It is of course possible, but no one has done the work to build the version
and test it out. As to what to call it, I'm a little hesitant to call it
0.20.3 at this point, since the last time I asked it was considered a fairly
risky change. If it goes badly, it would mean an incompatible revert onto a
branch that has been stable for 1.5 years. I'd much rather call it
0.20-append.0 and use 0.20.3 for straight bugfixes.

-- Owen