hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Jakob Homan <jgho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Patch testing
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:19:20 GMT
So, with test-patch updated to show the failing tests, saving the
developers the need to go and verify that the failed tests are all
known, how do people feel about turning on test-patch again for HDFS
and mapred?  I think it'll help prevent any more tests from entering
the "yeah, we know" category.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Jakob Homan <jhoman@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> True, each patch would get a -1 and the failing tests would need to be
> verified as those known bad (BTW, it would be great if Hudson could list
> which tests failed in the message it posts to JIRA).  But that's still quite
> a bit less error-prone work than if the developer runs the tests and
> test-patch themselves.  Also, with 22 being cut, there are a lot of patches
> up in the air and several developers are juggling multiple patches.  The
> more automation we can have, even if it's not perfect, will decrease errors
> we may make.
> -jg
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>>> Assuming the projects are compiling and building, is there a reason to
>>> not turn it on despite the test failures? Hudson is invaluable to developers
>>> who then don't have to run the tests and test-patch themselves.  We didn't
>>> turn Hudson off when it was working previously and there were known
>>> failures.  I think one of the reasons we have more failing tests now is the
>>> higher cost of doing Hudson's work (not a great excuse I know).  This is
>>> particularly true now because several of the failing tests involve tests
>>> timing out, making the whole testing regime even longer.
>> Every single patch would get a -1 and need investigation.  Currently, that
>> would be about 83 investigations between MR and HDFS issues that are in
>> patch available state.  Shouldn't we focus on getting these tests fixed or
>> removed/?  Also, I need to get MAPREDUCE-2172 fixed (applies to HDFS as
>> well) before I turn this on.
>> Cheers,
>> Nige

View raw message