hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:30:50 GMT
I propose cutting a release from the tip of the branch-0.20-append
branch [1].  I suggest the release be called hadoop-0.20.0-append.  I
volunteer to run the release process. Are folks OK with this?

Here's some background.

The branch-0.20-append was forked from branch-0.20 a few months ago by
Dhruba to add an append/sync to 0.20.x era HDFS.  The added append
facility is made of the patches attached to HDFS-200 and then a bunch
of fixup patches done by Dhruba, Hairong, Nicolas, Todd, and others.
For a complete list of differences from the tip of the Hadoop
branch-0.20, see the CHANGE.txt file in branch-0.20-append [2].  The
HDFS-200 append/sync is not the same as the append/sync implementation
that is in hadoop 0.21.x and hadoop TRUNK.

The branch-0.20-append is a relatively small deviation from hadoop
0.20.x for those who want an append/sync in an (Apache) hadoop 0.20.x
[3].  Its for those unwilling to upgrade their clusters to hadoop
0.21.0 and for those who can't wait on the coming hadoop 0.22.0.  For
applications like HBase [4], an application that runs on HDFS and
"loses data" if no working append/sync, its critical that there is an
Apache release with a working append/sync.

A few of us have been playing with this branch with a while and it
seems to do the right thing.  Its fairly close to what FB runs
internally (correct me if I'm wrong in this last statement Dhruba).

1. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-append/
2. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.20-append/CHANGES.txt?view=markup
3. Cloudera's CDH3Beta2/3 already include an append/sync based off the
HDFS-200++ work.   There is no 'official' Apache hadoop 0.20.x with a
working append/sync.
4. http://hbase.apache.org

View raw message