hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Angeles <patr...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:26:54 GMT
Ron,

While MapReduce can help to parallelize the load effort, your likely
bottleneck is the source system (where the files come from). If the files
are coming from a single server, then parallelizing the load won't gain you
much past a certain point. You have to figure in how fast you can read the
file(s) off disk(s) and push the bits through your network and finally onto
HDFS.

The best scenario is if you can parallelize the reads and have a fat network
pipe (10GbE or more) going into your Hadoop cluster.

Regards,

- Patrick