hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Owen O'Malley" <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:00:30 GMT
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> Features are not release version tags.  If there is a security bug
> found then we would have to release a new version of the append
> version, and a round of severe trout slapping would result.

Yeah, it isn't a perfect solution and it doesn't scale to a second tag, but
the problem is that this is effectively a release branch between 0.20 and
0.21. Of course I agree that any critical bugs would need to be fixed in the
append branch as well as the 0.20 and 0.21 branches.

If you want to stick to pure numbers and we want to leave ourselves a way to
bugfix the 0.20 branch without append, we'd could use a version string like
0.20.100, etc. Not pretty, but it does preserve the numeric ordering and
suggest a version jump.

If I remember right, there were also protocol changes in the append branch,
which was another reason we didn't want to put it directly into the 0.20
branch.

-- Owen