hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:14:27 GMT
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Owen O'Malley <oom@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> All,
>   We really need some guidance on the general direction for the project.
> Please comment and/or vote. If no one cares, then I'll probably commit it to
> Yahoo's internal branch.

An alternative to this would be to create a project for
serializations. Other projects have successfully provided external
libraries for Hadoop, e.g. Pig, Hive, Elephant Bird, Plume, Cascading,
Mahout etc. This would make it possible for users to choose which
library they wanted to use, and allows updates to the library to be
driven by the library's release schedule, not Hadoop's.

Tom