hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:22:09 GMT
On 12/07/2010 03:27 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> The main contradictory issue on which Owen and Doug disagree (other people
> as well) is whether
> Hadoop should support multiple serializations or be based on one designated
> serialization.
> This is a defining general direction a-issue. I believe this is vote-able.

I no longer think we should add any new serialization implementations to
the kernel.  We might provide implementations as separate libraries that
folks choose to use, but we should work to make sure that user code is
well distinguished from the kernel and also try not to pollute the users
classpath with particular versions of popular libraries.

Doug