hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:45:09 GMT
On 12/06/2010 02:40 PM, Chris Douglas wrote:
> It is nonsense to assert that every PMC member has the right to block
> work because it conflicts with their personal vision  [ ... ]

This is the way Apache projects operate.  It requires that folks listen
to criticism and potentially accept compromises if they wish to make
progress.  If folks cannot reach consensus in an area then that area
will not make progress.

> On the vote: I'm +1 on supporting library/platform code in the Hadoop
> project, particularly in MapReduce. Reducing MR to a distributed sort
> implementation is not a direction I'm interested in.

I am interested in having this project primarily deliver a reliable,
efficient MapReduce kernel implementation.  That's the core
functionality that folks seek to not recreate.  The project should focus
on a minimal, low-level MapReduce API for this kernel and permit other
projects to build higher-level abstractions.

Doug