hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:21:54 GMT
On 11/29/2010 04:22 PM, Owen O'Malley wrote:
>Using a vote to
> decide on project direction is far better than vetoing patches based on
> disjoint visions of how to move forward. If the project votes for a
> direction, a veto that is based on an opposing direction is clearly invalid.

This is unfortunately not the way Apache projects operate.  Vetos are
not overridden by a majority votes.

> For example, in your last MapReduce (MAPREDUCE-980) patch you
> added avro and paranamer as dependences.

If I'm not mistaken, that only adds a dependency to the JobTracker.  We
don't create specific classpaths for daemons than for user code, but we
probably should, so that things that only the daemon uses are not also
placed on the users classpath.

Doug