hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:55:32 GMT

On Dec 6, 2010, at 7:36 PM, Eric Sammer wrote:

> I'm a bit confused as to how this equates with sequence files being
> deprecated or arrested. I tried to read HADOOP-6685 but there's a lot
> of internal references and context I feel like I'm missing. Suffice it
> to say, sequence files can *not* be broken for existing data for the
> reasons everyone has stated. If we choose to focus development
> elsewhere ("soft deprecate") or actively encourage users elsewhere
> ("@Deprecated") is an issue I think we can sever from this discussion.

I'm surprised that your are confused.

http://s.apache.org/h6685-veto

Doug is very clear that he is vetoing the patch based on 2 reasons:
a) dependency on PB
b) extension to SequenceFile

a) is technical, and we can debate about it.

b) isn't. It's his 'vision' for the project, a vision which hasn't
been ratified by the PMC.

Arun