hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:26:23 GMT

On Dec 17, 2010, at 6:15 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> how are we going with the 0.22 release.
>
> Progress has been blocked because HADOOP-6685 is still blocked. I feel that HADOOP-6685
is critical for Hadoop and don't see much point in working on a 0.22 release without it.

While it may be critical, I still don't understand why we couldn't release without it, and
carry on the discussion.
Putting so much emphasis and pressure on this issue is unwarranted.

Everyone who has discussed this patch has said it isn't critical to hadoop, and It's holding
up everything else 0.22 is going to bring.
There are now 4 separate companies who have released their own 0.20 version because of the
delay on our releasing...
Delaying this release another 2-3 months for a single patch seems a bit extreme to me.

> In particular, HADOOP-6685 removes the need for third party serialization libraries that
work around the current limitations of the MapReduce framework, but splinter the user community.

> If someone else wants to take over as release manager for 0.22 while we find a solution
to make forward progress on HADOOP-6685, that would be fine.