hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <omal...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Direction for Hadoop development
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:08:51 GMT

On Dec 13, 2010, at 11:14 PM, Eric Sammer wrote:

> - Codify (by vote) whether design plans are required or if an
> informal email
> indicating intent is sufficient, and under what circumstances. Provide
> examples to clarify circumstances. Solves the long term but not
> HADOOP-6685.

We had a presentation about my plans for this jira in June and both
Tom and Doug attended and asked questions. It wasn't a lack of
communication. At that time, they didn't like the proposal but didn't
plan to block it.

In general code changes shouldn't require a vote. The goal is to work
together as a community to produce code, not make everything a
lawyerly argument.

> Owen, would you be amenable to working to find a way to remove the
> PB dep in
> support of HADOOP-6685 and handling bootstrapping with either one of
> the
> existing deps or simple hard coded length, type, value serialization /
> deserialization similar to Writables?

Of course it is possible, but it is a far worse engineering solution.
ProtocolBuffers do exactly what I need, it is foolish to implement an
hand-crafted replacement. My point is that a dependence on Avro was
accepted without issue. No one had an issue when I added snakeyaml.
All of the objections are fundamentally based in a dislike of
serializations other than Yarn.

-- Owen