hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: Cut a hadoop-0.20.0-append release from the tip of branch-0.20-append branch?
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 07:07:58 GMT
On Dec 22, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:

> In that case, I'm +1 on releasing a 20+append branch, but am nervous on how much effort
will be put into testing it. But this option is better than the current apache alternative
out there as you and Owen mentioned.

Features are not release version tags.  If there is a security bug
found then we would have to release a new version of the append
version, and a round of severe trout slapping would result.

If someone builds the source package and there are enough votes to
release it, then the version number is one of 0.22.0 (assuming trunk
hasn't been released yet), 0.23.0 (if 0.22.x is already published),
or 1.0.0.

That is, unless the PMC decides to make it a separate product, in
which case it would be hadoopend-0.20.0 (or something like that)
and will either die a slow and painful death or someone else will
pick it up and fork the project.

....Roy