hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Kevin Fox <Kevin....@pnl.gov>
Subject RE: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 00:11:31 GMT
On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 16:04 -0800, Taylor, Ronald C wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> So - from what Patrick and Ted are saying it sounds like we want the best way to parallelize
a source-based push, rather than doing a parallelized pull through a MapReduce program. And
I see that what you ask about below is on parallelizing a push, so we are on the same page.
>  Ron

Hi Ron,

I think there are merits for both approaches, a depending on the type of
data it is. If you only ever need a subset of the data for reprocessing,
map/reducing then transfer might be better. If you want all the raw data
of a particular set, push transfer may make more sense.

So we'd need solutions to both:
*parallel map reduce on non hdfs storage cluster, push to hdfs
reprocessing cluster.
*parallel push data from non hdfs storage cluster, into hdfs
reprocessing cluster.

Thanks,
Kevin

M JR
> Subject: Re: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS
file system (or Hbase)?

> On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 14:26 -0800, Patrick Angeles wrote:
> > Ron,
> >

> > While MapReduce can help to parallelize the load effort, your likely
> > bottleneck is the source system (where the files come from). If the
> > files are coming from a single server, then parallelizing the load
> > won't gain you much past a certain point. You have to figure in how
> > fast you can read the file(s) off disk(s) and push the bits through
> > your network and finally onto HDFS.
> >

> > The best scenario is if you can parallelize the reads and have a fat
> > network pipe (10GbE or more) going into your Hadoop cluster.
>

> We have a way to parallelize a push from the archive storage cluster to the hadoop storage
cluster.

> Is there a way to target a particular storage node with a push into the hadoop file system?
The hadoop cluster nodes are 1gig attached to its core switch and we have a 10 gig uplink
to the core from the storage archive. Say, we have 4 nodes in each storage cluster (we have
more, just a simplified example):

> a0 --\                                /-- h0
> a1 --+                                +-- h1
> a2 --+ (A switch) -10gige- (h switch) +-- h2
> a3 --/                                \-- h3
>
> I want to be able to have a0 talk to h0 and not have h0 decide the data belongs on h3,
slowing down a3's ability to write data into h3, greatly reducing bandwidth.