hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Peter Minearo <Peter.Mine...@Reardencommerce.com>
Subject Cloudera CDH3 install on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:06:08 GMT
Not sure who or where to send this to, but this is for the Cloudera distribution of Hadoop:

I just tried to install CDH3 on my Ubuntu machine

> more /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS"

I got the following error:
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  hadoop-0.20: Depends: sun-java6-jre but it is not installable
               Depends: sun-java6-bin but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I have Jave 1.6 installed:
> java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)

What I found was, in order to get the install to work properly; you have to do an extra step.
  In Step #4 on https://docs.cloudera.com/display/DOC/Hadoop+Installation+%28CDH3%29  there
is:

> apt-cache search hadoop
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20

Between these 2 commands there are 2 other commands that are needed:
> echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/partner.list
> apt-get update

So, until Cloudera fixes the install (or documentation) in order to install the CDH3 on Ubuntu
10.04 (lucid) the steps should look like:

> apt-cache search hadoop
> echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/partner.list
> apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install hadoop-0.20

Does anyone know, if this is being looked at?

Thanks,

Peter