hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Evert Lammerts <Evert.Lamme...@sara.nl>
Subject RE: interfaces to HDFS icw Kerberos
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:29:11 GMT
Hi Vinithra, others,

We are using CDH3b3 (which works amazingly well!!). And it's nice see Y!'s Kerberos solution
coupled to HDFS. But I wouldn't use Hue to upload a set of files accumulating to 100's of
GBs or a number of TB's. Browser-based applications are not suitable for that, in my experience.
Do you have different experiences with Hue? (To be fair, we haven't tested its performance
yet.)

We are setting up a cluster that will be shared by people from a number of different institutes,
all working on different cases with different data. Their work and data should be protected,
also from each other. At the same time they need to be able to transfer their data onto HDFS
(with a high enough throughput) from their local clusters / machines. Is there a standard
that others are using and that works for shared clusters? How are Y! people getting their
data onto HDFS?

Right now we are using SFTP. We handle authentication a bit 'hacky', but it works: we've coupled
our LDAP server to Hue through an Auth*Handler, which also allows for executing a script that
updates authentication tokens for our FTP. So far the throughput is far from high enough though
- 1.5 MB/s - with data going over the line unencrypted. Unless we can get that up significantly,
while providing the option to encrypt the data on the wire, that will probably not be a long
term solution.

If anybody can share experiences on transparently and securely getting data onto HDFS from
external locations, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Evert