hadoop-general mailing list archives

From "Segel, Mike" <mse...@navteq.com>
Subject RE: cleaning up 'hadoop.tmp.dir' ?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:21:41 GMT
That's actually a good point.

I'm looking at it from the Unix admin point of view. Anything in /tmp is just that... a temp
file that you don't care about.
(Although I think in Cloudera's CDH3 they store the PIDs in /tmp??? (Going from memory and
I'm still on my first cup of coffee.))

-Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:qwertymaniac@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 8:19 AM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: cleaning up 'hadoop.tmp.dir' ?

Hey,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Wojciech Langiewicz
<wlangiewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, but what about HDFS data?
>
> In tmp dir I have another 2: dfs and mapred
> Directory 'dfs' seems to contain block from the HDFS, is it safe to delete
> them?

NO! You'll lose your blocks if you delete that dfs/data directory (If
it is in use and I suppose that's what is taking up much space).

In production, the dfs.data.dir property should not point any of its
directories to a /tmp subdir which may be wiped upon boot.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

or paper files.