hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop on PlanetLab nodes
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:03:27 GMT
Better than passwordless ssh is to use ssh-agent and load your key
(providing the passphrase once). See 'man ssh-agent' for details,
although it's pretty straight forward.

Short version:

# See if ssh-agent is already running for your user by trying to list
# keys it knows about. That's a "dash-ell."
ssh-add -l

# Load an ssh key.
ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa
<enter passphrase>

If your public key is already on all the nodes, watch as magically
start-all/stop-all work without requiring a password.

WARNING: When working with authentication, remote login, and anything
security related, *never* blindly take advice. Always take the time to
understand the ramifications. See man pages for ssh, ssh-agent,
ssh-add, and ssh_config.

Hope that helps.

--
Eric Sammer