hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Harsh J <qwertyman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cleaning up 'hadoop.tmp.dir' ?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:18:43 GMT
Hey,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Wojciech Langiewicz
<wlangiewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, but what about HDFS data?
>
> In tmp dir I have another 2: dfs and mapred
> Directory 'dfs' seems to contain block from the HDFS, is it safe to delete
> them?

NO! You'll lose your blocks if you delete that dfs/data directory (If
it is in use and I suppose that's what is taking up much space).

In production, the dfs.data.dir property should not point any of its
directories to a /tmp subdir which may be wiped upon boot.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com