hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Tom White <tom.e.wh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed bylaws for Hadoop
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 21:12:50 GMT
Thanks for the explanation Owen. The HttpComponents bylaws define
"majority" as "A majority decision passes if there is a minimum of
three binding +1 votes and at least 75% of the binding votes are +1."
So this is not the same as the 50% majority defined the the draft.
(Actually, I notice that only "lazy majority" is defined, not
"majority" in the approvals section.) I suggest we make this stronger.
By way of comparison, the recently enacted bylaws for Pig
(http://pig.apache.org/bylaws.html) have consensus, for example.

Also, Pig has a minimum length of time for each action, rather than
the same fixed number for each. Might be worth considering.

Cheers,
Tom