hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 18:14:47 GMT
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM, Allen Wittenauer
<awittenauer@linkedin.com> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 5:51 PM, Eli Collins wrote:
>>
>> - The packaging is Linux specific, we've gotten push back when trying
>> to contribute modifications upstream with Linuxisms since Apache
>> supports non-Linux platforms (namely Solaris).
>
>        Oh come now Eli.  Just say it: I push everyone really hard on making things
multiple platform to the point of being as trollish as this Ian fellow that started this thread.

>        Most of the Linux-specific modifications that I've seen that have been submitted
are specifically to avoid configuring the system properly*, built in such a way that they
weren't pluggable for other operating systems, or could be done in a much more POSIX/OS-agnostic
way.  The fact that there are parts of Hadoop that don't work properly on Mac OS X (despite
the overwhelming number of Mac laptops in use by Hadoop core devs) always struck me as particularly
funny when people get frustrated with me when I point this problems out.

>        It is also worth mentioning that, AFAIK, only Linux and AIX have OS-specific
code in Hadoop.  Attempts to get fixes (not even features!) for specific issues for other
operating systems have been fully rejected with the cry of "we the community don't want to
support specific OS issues in the core", even tho some of them are direct hinderance to the
proper operation of Hadoop on those OSes.  We have a very big double standard at work here.

Hey Allen,

Sorry for the slow response, Google marked this as spam ;)

Are there outstanding issues building Hadoop on OSX/Solaris?  I
thought we got all those in trunk.

Thanks,
Eli