hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 23:50:32 GMT
right.. Cloudera is bundling it's add-ons into a single tarball to make it
easier to install.

but my main bone of contention here is not in the bundling, but that in
order for those tools to work, they need to make changes to the base hadoop
package.

In my ideal world, I'd like to be able to just download/buy any of those
tools and have them run on a released apache hadoop tarball. and then if
someone else comes along with a competing tool I would be free to choose it
and have it also run on my apache hadoop tarball, not have to go through the
pain of saying XXX tool needs their customized version of hadoop so I can't
use it. (ie remove the lock-in that comes from a forked base).

but the other question I have which hopefully you guys can answer is does
the yahoo distribution have ALL the patches from the trunk on it? because if
it doesn't I think that is problematic as well for other reasons.

so what I'd like to see is both cloudera and yahoo running a minimal set of
patches as a 'superset' of the apache hadoop stuff, with the apache hadoop
very close to both of these. the only patches being in either being to fix
bugs or performance issues that would be available in the next release of
a-hadoop.
And when a new release of a-hadoop comes, it the vendors would switch to
using that a-hadoop version as their baseline.

I don't want to get into the situation that linux is in with redhat in that
their kernel is dramatically different to the one on kernel.org.

does that make sense?