hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 10:44:52 GMT
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Milind A Bhandarkar <milindb@yahoo-inc.com
> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2010, at 6:33 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:
> > I think we should push forward to 0.22 as well.
> "As Well" ? That means there is something else you want to do, right ?

as well as in I agree with the other people who want to have a 0.22 release,
as opposed to wanting to have another 0.20 release.

> What is it ?
> You have said in earlier emails that "Yahoo distribution of hadoop not
> being the same as apache hadoop trunk will cause 'other' problems".

I'm picking on yahoo here, but the same could be said for cloudera as well.

> Let me ask a yes/no question, based on some of your ambiguous statements in
> this thread.
> Do you want Yahoo! distribution of Hadoop the same as trunk ?

I want the Yahoo & Cloudera distributions of hadoop to be as close as
possible to the released version of apache hadoop.

I want Yahoo (and others) to look at the apache release and be able say we
can use this on our own cluster, and not have to maintain their 500 or so
patches on top of the standard release.

I want to get the 0.22 (and future) apache releases to a point where the
internal Yahoo developers start asking themselves if they should switch, and
if there is a need for them to maintain their github release at all.

and like Bernd says, I don't have the power to dictate what Yahoo runs on
their cluster internally, neither do I want it.

As a user I was quite pleased when Yahoo and Cloudera put their versions out
there. It was tremendously helpful to me getting my shit done, but by them
doing so it told me (by the fact that they had to release it, and how
different they were) that I shouldn't be running on a standard apache

To repeat for those who think I write vaguely.
I want to remove the need for multiple distributions.

which back to the original thread:

one approach suggested to resolve the multiple branches is to do releases
frequently, but in order to do that we have need to things in place to help
test the releases quickly so as to ensure the quality is there.