hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:50:32 GMT
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Bernd Fondermann <bf_jak@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> On 22.10.10 23:52, Eli Collins wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Ian Holsman<hadoop@holsman.net>  wrote:
>> Hey Ian,
>>
>> I think we're all in agreement that we need to re-convene on a common
>> branch that removes most of the deltas against an Apache release that
>> we have all accumulated (primarily security, append, trunk backports).
>> The open question is whether we try to come up with a common 20-based
>> branch or wait for 22.  That's been previously discussed on this list
>> and there were some concerns, re-iterated on this thread, that we
>> should invest in 22 rather than the current 20-based branches.
>>
>> Our current plan is to reconvene with everyone on 22 - a well-tested
>> release with security and append should get users off the current
>> 20-based branches. However if you and/or the Apache community feels
>> that there needs to be an Apache 20-based branch and release that
>> reflects what people are using (security, append, various backports in
>> YDH/CDH) we are willing to create and maintain this branch on Apache.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eli
>
> Eli,
>
> You are using "we" and "our" placeholders a lot in the last two paragraphs
> and my brain's parser is failing to resolve them correctly - please can you
> clarify where you speak of "we" the community/the
> PMC/Cloudera/Yahoo/somebody else respectively.
>
> Thank you,
>
>  Bernd

Hey Bernd,

Apologies for the confusion, I see your point. This is hopefully more clear:

I think the *Hadoop contributors* are all in agreement that we need to
re-convene on a common branch that removes most of the deltas against
an Apache release that we have all accumulated (primarily security,
append, trunk backports). The open question is whether *those of us
that maintain 20-based branches (used internally or distributed)* try
to come up with a common 20-based branch or wait for 22.  That's been
previously discussed on this list and there were some concerns,
re-iterated on this thread, that *Hadoop contributors* should invest
in 22 rather than the current 20-based branches.

*Those of us who maintain Cloudera's 20-based branch* would like to
reconvene with everyone on 22 - a well-tested release from trunk with
security and append should get users off the current 20-based
branches. However if you and/or the Apache community feels that there
needs to be an Apache 20-based branch and release that reflects what
people are using (security, append, various backports in YDH/CDH),
*those of us who maintain Cloudera's 20-based branch* are willing to
create and maintain this branch at Apache.

Thanks,
Eli