hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 21:52:01 GMT
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Ian Holsman <hadoop@holsman.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Milind A Bhandarkar
> <milindb@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:
>

>> > but the other question I have which hopefully you guys can answer is does
>> > the yahoo distribution have ALL the patches from the trunk on it? because
>> if
>> > it doesn't I think that is problematic as well for other reasons.
>>

>> What are these "other" reasons ?
>>

> yahoo distribution runs on our production clusters, and I do not see why any
>> production cluster should run code from trunk.
>>

> right.. the trunk is not for production use.  I wasn't suggesting that.
>
> but the trunk is what will eventually become the next release.
>
> Then someone in yahoo will have to decide if they are going to move to
> rebase their production cluster to 0.21, or just continue back-porting what
> they need to the version they are running on their clusters.
>
> and if yahoo fixes a bug in their version, it would need to be
> forward-ported over to the current trunk. which will get harder and harder
> as the paths diverge.
>
> I'm sure you've seen it happen on other projects when a major branch lands
> on the trunk, and the amount of effort it takes to reconcile them.

Hey Ian,

I think we're all in agreement that we need to re-convene on a common
branch that removes most of the deltas against an Apache release that
we have all accumulated (primarily security, append, trunk backports).
The open question is whether we try to come up with a common 20-based
branch or wait for 22.  That's been previously discussed on this list
and there were some concerns, re-iterated on this thread, that we
should invest in 22 rather than the current 20-based branches.

Our current plan is to reconvene with everyone on 22 - a well-tested
release with security and append should get users off the current
20-based branches. However if you and/or the Apache community feels
that there needs to be an Apache 20-based branch and release that
reflects what people are using (security, append, various backports in
YDH/CDH) we are willing to create and maintain this branch on Apache.

Thanks,
Eli