hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <had...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:54:23 GMT
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Milind A Bhandarkar
<milindb@yahoo-inc.com>wrote:

> > but the other question I have which hopefully you guys can answer is does
> > the yahoo distribution have ALL the patches from the trunk on it? because
> if
> > it doesn't I think that is problematic as well for other reasons.
>

> What are these "other" reasons ?

yahoo distribution runs on our production clusters, and I do not see why any
> production cluster should run code from trunk.

right.. the trunk is not for production use.  I wasn't suggesting that.

but the trunk is what will eventually become the next release.

Then someone in yahoo will have to decide if they are going to move to
rebase their production cluster to 0.21, or just continue back-porting what
they need to the version they are running on their clusters.

and if yahoo fixes a bug in their version, it would need to be
forward-ported over to the current trunk. which will get harder and harder
as the paths diverge.

I'm sure you've seen it happen on other projects when a major branch lands
on the trunk, and the amount of effort it takes to reconcile them.
  - Milind

--
Milind Bhandarkar
(mailto:milindb@yahoo-inc.com)