hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:20:34 GMT
On 23.10.10 17:48, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2010, at 2:28 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
>> On 23.10.10 05:40, Owen O'Malley wrote:
>>>
>>> The current plan of record is to make
>>> cut a branch next month, stabilize it, and release it.
>>
>> I'd like to revisit the mailing list thread where this decision was made. Can you
point me to it?

> 	While you are looking for threads, can you point me to the one where the ASF board announced
the very heavy handed VP change to the Hadoop community?

Sure, but you'd have to be a committer at the ASF to have access to it:
20.10.10 13:15 -0700 - committers@apache.org:
"ASF Board Meeting Summary - October 20, 2010"

PMC chair changes are never announced to a broader audience, AFAICR.
There are other things which currently trouble the ASF community way
more than this VP change, as every Apache committer can read there and
which is subject to a press release for everyone to read.

What I learned when talking to users of ASF projects over the years is
that they mostly don't even know what PMCs are all about, and thus they
don't care about VPs.

All they care about is features, releases, documentation and support.

   Bernd