hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: bringing the codebases back in line
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:19:44 GMT
On 10/21/2010 12:13 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I wanted to start a conversation about how we could merge the the cloudera +
> yahoo distribtutions of hadoop into our codebase,
> and what would be required.

Cloudera's distribution is based on Y!'s 0.20 distribution, together
with patches from the Apache 0.20-append branch, patches cherry-picked
from trunk and patches that have been submitted but not yet committed.

Please note that both Cloudera and Y!'s distributions are 0.20-based
distributions.  Patches may have been committed to trunk, but nearly
everyone is using 0.20 in production and will be for some time.  There
is currently no 0.20 branch at Apache that contains what most folks are
using in production.  There have been proposals to create such branches,
most recently by Arun.  Do you think this is worthwhile?

Doug