hadoop-general mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed bylaws for Hadoop
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2010 15:55:36 GMT
On 19/10/10 22:12, Owen O'Malley wrote:
> Apache Hadoop Project Bylaws
>
> This document defines the bylaws under which the Apache Hadoop project
> operates. It defines the roles and responsibilities of the project,
> who may vote, how voting works, how conflicts are resolved, etc.

+1, looks like the standard ASF process

That said
  -the JIRA/hudson review process isn't so common on other projects,
where it's usually lazy post-commit-veto. That doesn't mean the Hadoop
process is bad, only that you may want to say "the process used for
getting code in is stricter than many existing ASF processes due to the
value of data stored in Hadoop clusters. The exact process for
committing code will be defined by the PMC and voted on" -then you can
propose/vote the existing process, but have the ability to change things
without reconstituting.

-the proposal for big changes that was discussed  may also be something
that this would cover

-Vetoes can kill a project. It's the situation you don't want to get,
where someone starts -1 rejecting everything. It might be good to lay
out what the escalation process is for resolving vetoes that cannot be
resolved -is there a way to raise with the PMC, etc.?

-steve